Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taneytown in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Heart of Our Town

 
 
The Heart of Our Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 5, 2013
1. The Heart of Our Town Marker
The plaque above the marker--Old Stone Hotel/Hesson's Department Store-1763-1921
Inscription. Taneytown was founded in 1754 by Raphael Taney, a land speculator from St. Mary’s County. Some of the first buildings to line the dusty road were taverns-public houses where weary travelers could have a meal and spend the night. In fact President George Washington noted in his diary on July 1, 1791, that he lodged in Taneytown. The Stone Tavern, built in 1763, is the oldest building in town. If you had stood here 200 years ago and looked across the street, you would have seen the Adam Good Tavern.

Perhaps the most interesting detail about Taneytown’s architecture is what you cannot easily see. If you peeked behind the siding of the attached houses on South Frederick Street you would find that each house has a log core. Instead of demolishing these sturdy log buildings, the owners just incorporated them into their newer and larger homes.

The Central Hotel on York Street was very popular with early 20th century visitors. Many of the hotel’s guests remember eating the Zile’s Ice Cream in its dining room and getting their pictures taken at Edward Zepp’s photographic studio on the second floor. (Inscription on the large photograph) Taneytown photographer Ed Zepp took photos of East Baltimore Street from his second floor studio window in the Central Hotel-Courtesy of the Historical Society of Carroll County.

(Inscription
The Heart of Our Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 5, 2013
2. The Heart of Our Town Marker
beside the smaller photograph)
The Stone Tavern is one of the few 18th century buildings still standing in Taneytown. It served most of its life as a tavern and inn, but is now a private residence.-Courtesy of Historical Society of Carroll County.

Friday July 1st. Dined at one Cookerlys 13 miles off & lodged at Tawnytown only 12 miles farther…Tawny town is but a small place with only the Street through wch. the road passes, built on. The buildings are principally of wood…Taken from President George Washington’s July 1, 1791 diary entry. Courtesy of the Library of Congress.
 
Erected by Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 39° 39.567′ N, 77° 10.583′ W. Marker is in Taneytown, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker is at the intersection of Frederick Street and E. Baltimore Street on Frederick Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taneytown MD 21787, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adam Good Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Zile's Ice Cream (within shouting distance of this marker); Everyone is Welcome (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Steps of the Sisters"
The Heart of Our Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 5, 2013
3. The Heart of Our Town Marker
(about 700 feet away); Everything from Bags of Flour to the President's Shoes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Painting the Town Red (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1st Lieutenant John E. Buffington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Extra! Extra! (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Taneytown.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Stone Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
4. Stone Tavern
The Stone Tavern is one of the few 18th century buildings still standing in Taneytown. It served most of its life as a tavern and inn, but is now a private residence.-Courtesy of Historical Society of Carroll County.
Close-up of photo on marker
East Baltimore Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
5. East Baltimore Street
Taneytown photographer Ed Zapp took photos of East Baltimore Street from his second floor studio window in the Central Hotel.
Close-up of Ed Zapp photo on marker
George Washington image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
6. George Washington
“Friday July 1st. Dined at one Cookerlys 13 miles off & lodged at Tawnytown only 12 miles farther…Tawny town is but a small place with only the Street through wch. the road passes, built on. The buildings are principally of wood…” — Taken from President George Washington’s July 1, 1791 diary entry. Courtesy of the Library of Congress.
Close-up of quotation on marker
Apartment Building/Central Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
7. Apartment Building/Central Hotel
“The first structure on this lot was log (1767), an inn, owned by Jacob Good. By 1864, the structure was encased with brick. In 1902 David Mehring built the present brick building. Its large size and architectural characteristics including its Mansard roof, reflect the turn of the century prosperity of the town. During most of the 1900's it was a hotel/restaurant with some areas occupied by barbershop, dentist office, photographer's studio, meat market, etc. It was remodeled in the late 1900's for apartments for senior citizens. A part is still occupied by businesses. ” — Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement