“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bastrop in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Primera Baptist Church

Primera Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ross Perkins, April 1, 2013
1. Primera Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. On March 1, 1903, Primera Iglesia Bautista organized as the culmination of mission work carried out by Primera Iglesia Bautista of Welder. By 1907, the congregation constructed their first church building. Led by the Rev. Paul C. Bell, the growing membership was active in the community, opening a primary and secondary school for the area's unschooled Hispanic children (1920), an orphanage (1920), and a Baptist Bible Institute (1924). Some of the orphans and students later became ministers and missionaries. The congregation moved to a new building in 1928. Members have since continued to minister to English and Spanish-speaking residents of the area. Today, Primera Baptist Church remains a beacon of light in the Bastrop Community.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15947.)
Location. 30° 6.243′ N, 97° 19.055′ W. Marker is in Bastrop, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is at the intersection of Gutierrez Street and Paul Bell Street, on the left when traveling west on Gutierrez Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bastrop TX 78602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas H. Mays (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Bastrop Advertiser (approx. 0.4 miles away); First National Bank of Bastrop (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of Bastrop (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Bastrop Military Institute (approx. 0.8 miles away); H. P. Luckett House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lost Pines of Texas (approx. 1.5 miles away); Early History of the City of Bastrop (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bastrop.
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ross Perkins of Cedar Creek, Texas. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 73 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Ross Perkins of Cedar Creek, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement