Medicine Lodge in Barber County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Grand Hotel
In January, 1884, Medicine Lodge citizens organized a stock company to build a first class hotel. Standiford Youmans & Co., a local business, donated the three lots at the corner of Main Street and Washington Avenue. The bricks for the structure were made here. The woodwork, furniture, and accessories were brought by ox team from the Harper railroad terminal. The Grand Hotel, the tallest building west of Wichita, opened on March 4, 1885, dazzling even the cowboys with its rich Brussels carpet, furniture of walnut and ebony with marble tops, paintings, tableware, and silverware. In 1898 the Grand was purchased by George W. Horney, who as a young cowboy in 1885 had made it his home. His son, George, and daughter, Sweet (Mrs. M.B. Skinner), in turn managed the Grand until her death in 1980.
Erected by the City of Medicine Lodge Bed Tax-Tourism Committee.
Location. 37° 16.783′ N, 98° 34.755′ W. Marker is in Medicine Lodge, Kansas, in Barber County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Washington Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 South Main Street, Medicine Lodge KS 67104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are The First National Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Medicine Lodge Stockade (about 300 feet away); Peace Treaty Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barber County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Carry Nation Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Medicine Lodge Peace Treaties (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gypsum Hills Scenic Byway (approx. 9.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Medicine Lodge.
Also see . . . The Grand Hotel, Medicine Lodge KS. (Submitted on May 8, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.