Wilson in Wilson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hackney Wagon Company
Manufacturer of farm
& delivery wagons; est.
1903. Peak production
was 15,000 per year.
Factory was 1/4 mi. NE.
Erected 2005 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-69.)
Location. 35° 43.536′ N, 77° 54.66′ W. Marker is in Wilson, North Carolina, in Wilson County. Marker is on East Nash Street (State Highway 58) near Pine Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson NC 27893, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Combat Wounded Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry G. Conner (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson County Civil War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First ABC Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); R.D.W. Connor (approx. 0.2 miles away); P.D. Gold (approx. 0.3 miles away); Military Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Owen L. W. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wilson.
Regarding Hackney Wagon Company. The Hackney name has been associated with vehicle manufacturing in North Carolina since Willis Napoleon Hackney
The company prospered through World War I, the military having generated great demand for wagons. At one point Hackney’s production capacity was about 15,000 wagons per year. In 1920 George and W. D. Hackney exchanged assets, putting George in control of Hackney Brothers and W. D. becoming the sole owner of Hackney Wagon Company. The post war deluge of military surplus wagons and the increasing demand for motorized transportation contributed
Hackney declared bankruptcy in 1930 and George’s son Thomas J. Hackney, then vice president of Hackney Brothers, took over management of the business. In 1935 W. D. Adams, John Hackney, and W. B. Edwards formed Hackney Wagon Company, Inc. and bought the assets of the old company of the same name. That operation was still manufacturing farm and delivery wagons in 1942. It is not clear when Hackney Wagon Company ceased operation. Records of incorporation indicate that no reports were filed after 1936. In 1942, in a newspaper interview, W. D. Adams, director of Hackney Wagon Company was under the impression that his company shared the history of Hackney Brothers, in that he claimed that his company was founded in 1854. It seems that many people entwine the various Hackney enterprises. Nevertheless, Hackney Wagon Company stood on its own in Wilson and closed prior to the merger that consolidated the Hackney truck businesses and moved the operations to Washington.
(North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.