Ozark in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Early Ozark/Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker
From 1824, when Dale County was created by an act of the Alabama Legislature, until 1870, the area now comprising the “City of Ozark” was gradually settled mostly by farmers who came and bought the former Indian lands from the U.S. Government. In 1855 Elijah T. Matthews bought a country store located on the hill at the north end of Union Street. He became the postmaster for the area and selected the name “Ozark” after the Ozark Indians in Arkansas and Missouri. On October 27, 1870, the Alabama Legislature incorporated the City of Ozark. (Back):
Ozark’s Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker
In the mid-1930s, several Ozarkians including Congressman Henry B. Steagall and Jesse Adams, editor of The Southern Star, led in the acquisition by the U.S. Government of 35,000 acres of land in the southwest quadrant of Dale County. In 1941, with World War II threatening, the same Ozark leadership persuaded the War Department to use the 35,000 acres as the nucleus of a 64,000-acre Infantry Division training post. The camp, which eventually became the Army Aviation Center and a permanent “Fort,” was named after Confederate General Edmund Winchester Rucker.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City
Location. 31° 27.507′ N, 85° 38.405′ W. Marker is in Ozark, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is on South Union Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located in a small park across Union Street from the Dale County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Ozark AL 36360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Merrick's - Woodshop - Ozark / Ozark (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Dale Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Dowling - Steagall House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Union Presbyterian Church/Founders and Early Pastors (approx. 8 miles away); Newton (approx. 8.8 miles away); The Block House/River Port - Fort - Ferry (approx. 9.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ozark.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 500 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.