San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
“Kelly No. 2” Flight Line
The new flight line, extending 125 yards east and 2400 yards west of this site, consisted of numerous hangars, warehouses, barracks, repair shops, classrooms, and maintenance buildings. "Kelly No. 2" retained its training function from 1917 through 1942. Its Air Corps Advanced Flying School produced many prominent American aviators, including Charles Lindbergh and Claire Chennault. In 1955, the advent of new and larger aircraft prompted the extension of the existing runway, this necessitating the demolition of the old "Kelly No. 2" flight line.
Erected 1986 by
Location. 29° 23.07′ N, 98° 34.451′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on South Frank Luke Drive south of Buckner Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Kelly AFB, Bldg 1600 in parking area for Twiing Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 S Frank Luke Dr, San Antonio TX 78226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kelly Air Force Base (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wilber B. Miller (approx. 1.1 miles away); USAF Officer Candidate School (approx. 2.6 miles away); OCS Class 62-A (approx. 2.6 miles away); Aviation Cadets (approx. 2.6 miles away); One More Roll (approx. 2.6 miles away); Order of Daedalians / Fighter Aces Association (approx. 2.6 miles away); MTI Monument (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World I •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.