Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lynchburg College

 
 
Lynchburg College Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 30, 2013
1. Lynchburg College Marker
Inscription. Lynchburg College was founded in 1903 as Virginia Christian College by Dr. Josephus Hopwood and a group of Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) clergymen and lay leaders. It is one of the earliest colleges in Virginia to be founded as a coeducational institution. Its name was changed to Lynchburg College in 1919. The former Westover Hotel served as the college’s original building. Renamed Westover Hall, it was dismantled in 1970. Hopwood Hall, designed in the Classical Revival style by architect Edward Q. Frye and completed in 1909, is the oldest classroom building on campus and is still in use.
 
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q-6-13.)
 
Location. 37° 24.104′ N, 79° 10.922′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is on Lakeside Drive (U.S. 221) west of Old Forest Road and College Drive, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1501 Lakeside Dr, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort McCausland (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Fort McCausland (approx. 0.8 miles away); Civil War in Lynchburg
Lynchburg College Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 30, 2013
2. Lynchburg College Marker
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Early (approx. one mile away); Jubal Early Memorial (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Fort Early (approx. one mile away); Mustered and Disbanded 1861-1865 (approx. one mile away); Second Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A. (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Lynchburg.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an older marker with the same title and number that read “Situated on the hill to the southeast, this institution was established in 1903 by Dr. Josephus Hopwood and eight associates to promote Christian higher education. It was originally chartered as Virginia Christian College in 1919. This College is an educational institution of the churches of the Disciples of Christ.”
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the college, including Hopwood Hall • Photo of Westover Hall in its day • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement