Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Le Sueur in Le Sueur County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Dr. William W. Mayo House

 
 
Dr. William W. Mayo House Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
1. Dr. William W. Mayo House Marker
Inscription. The accomplishments of the Mayo family in the field of medicine have brought fame to both its members and to Minnesota, for it was Dr. William W. Mayo and his two sons, William J. and Charles H., who founded the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, in 1903.

This little house was built by William W. Mayo in 1859. It is intimately associated with the Mayo family's early years in Minnesota, for here on June 29, 1861, the Mayos' first son, William J., was born.

His father had emigrated to the United States from England in 1845. By 1854 the doctor was living with his wife in Indiana. He left the family there when he departed suddenly in search of relief from the effects of malaria, saying to his started wife, "Good-bye, Louise. I'm going to keep on driving until I get well or die."

Dr. Mayo's travels took him to St. Paul, the rude capital of Minnesota Territory, where he settled with his family. In 1859 he moved to Le Sueur, where he built this house with the help of his brother James. In 1863 he again moved, this time to Rochester, where in 1889 he was asked to become the medical director of St. Mary's Hospital, the nucleus of the future Mayo Clinic.

seal of the Natural Resources Fund
seal of The Minnesota Historical Society, Instituted 1849

Erected by the Minnesota
Dr. William W. Mayo House Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
2. Dr. William W. Mayo House Marker
west side of marker with duplicate text
Historical Society
1968

 
Erected 1968 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 44° 27.743′ N, 93° 54.892′ W. Marker is in Le Sueur, Minnesota, in Le Sueur County. Marker is on North Main Street (State Highway 112) south of Swan Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at Louise Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 North Main Street, Le Sueur MN 56058, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roster of the Le Sueur Tigers (a few steps from this marker); 1923 Minnesota River Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jolly Green Giant (approx. 0.8 miles away); Le Sueur (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Minnesota River Valley (approx. 2.7 miles away); Joseph R. Brown State Monument (approx. 4.5 miles away); St. Jude's Episcopal Church Congregation (approx. 4.5 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Le Sueur.
 
Also see . . .
1. Minnesota Historical Society. W.W. Mayo House. "The historic home of the founders of both the Mayo Clinic and
Dr. William W. Mayo House Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
3. Dr. William W. Mayo House Marker
the Green Giant Company." (Submitted on May 19, 2013.) 

2. The W.W. Mayo House. (Submitted on May 19, 2013.)
3. Dr. William W. Mayo House. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on May 19, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesScience & Medicine
 
Dr. William W. Mayo House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
4. Dr. William W. Mayo House and Marker
Dr. William W. Mayo House image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
5. Dr. William W. Mayo House
National Register of Historic Places #69000074
Nearby Sculpture and Plaque image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
6. Nearby Sculpture and Plaque
The Mothers Sculpture image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
7. The Mothers Sculpture
The Mothers Plaque image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
8. The Mothers Plaque
The sculpture brings two historic residents of the Mayo Home, Louise Mayo (1858-1864) and Louise Cosgrove (1914-1920), together. The Mothers Louise form an arch through which William J. Mayo, his sister Gertrude, and Robert Cosgrove pass.
Louise Mayo was the wife of William W. Mayo and the mother of William J. and Charles Mayo. These three men founded the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
Louise Cosgrove was the wife of Edward Cosgrove and mother of Robert Cosgrove. Both men were President and Chairman of the Board of the Green Giant Company of Le Sueur.
Dr. Paul T. Granlund, St. Peter, Minnesota created and cast the sculpture in 1978.
The sculpture was dedicated by the Arthur and David Cosgrove Memorial Fund.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement