Near Sylvania in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1772 Dunn sold to the enterprising Thomas Burton who made a large investment in boats and roads through the swamp. January 20th, 1773 he applied for and received a franchise for the operation of the ferry. The ferry proved a profitable enterprise for years for Burton.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 56.239′ N, 81° 30.698′ W. Marker is near Sylvania, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is on Burtons Ferry Road (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker Located approx. 200 yards on Georgia side of Savannah River. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brick (Bethel) Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); 1827 Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Antioch Christian Church Concord Baptist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away in South Carolina); Paris' Mill (approx. 8 miles away); British Army Crossing (approx. 8 miles away); General Samuel Elbert (approx. 8.9 miles away); Battle of Brier Creek - Mar. 3, 1779 (approx. 8.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sylvania.
Also see . . . USC article Burtons Ferry , Paragraph 1. (Submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,665 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.