Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmyra in Portage County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Stagecoach Inn / Historic Palmyra Center

 
 
Old Stagecoach Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, May 19, 2013
1. Old Stagecoach Inn Marker
Inscription.

Old Stagecoach Inn
This historic inn began serving travelers on the old Portage-Columbiana stage road (now Tallmadge Road) in 1832. Two major stage lines, one from Cleveland to Wellsville (the closest Ohio River port) and the other from Cleveland to Pittsburgh, passed through Palmyra in the early 1800s. Originally a simple two-story Greek Revival-style building, it had its third story added in 1888 when it became a lodge for the Knights of Pythias fraternal organization. It served as a private residence and store for most of the 20th century. The Palmyra Center Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Historic Palmyra Center
New Englanders settled the Palmyra area in 1799, and Palmyra Township was established in 1810. Though part of the original Connecticut Western Reserve, Palmyra's cultural background was influenced largely by Welsh immigrants, who began arriving circa 1830. These farmers found a rare cash market for their produce at the inn. Later Welsh immigrants worked in the coal mines that dotted the area from the 1870s until the 1920s. For many years the annual May Fair celebrated Palmyra's Welsh heritage. The town's lost much of its vitality after nearby Interstate Highway 76 bypassed it in the 1960s.
 
Erected
Historic Palmyra Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, May 19, 2013
2. Historic Palmyra Center Marker
2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Doug Rice Family, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-67.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 5.941′ N, 81° 3.08′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, Ohio, in Portage County. Marker is at the intersection of Tallmadge Road and Deerfield Windham Road (Ohio Route 225), on the right when traveling west on Tallmadge Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Diamond OH 44412, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newton Falls Covered Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away); Atwater Coal Company Mine Disaster (approx. 7.5 miles away); Deer Creek Quaker Cemetery (approx. 9.9 miles away); Ephraim Root (approx. 10 miles away); Rootstown (approx. 10 miles away); Lexington Quaker Cemetery (approx. 10 miles away); Abraham Lincoln, Ravenna, Ohio (approx. 11 miles away); Mabel Hartzell (approx. 12 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Old Stagecoach Inn / Historic Palmyra Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, May 19, 2013
3. Old Stagecoach Inn / Historic Palmyra Center Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 694 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement