Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Canfield in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site

 
 
Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site Marker - Side A image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, May 19, 2013
1. Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site Marker - Side A
Inscription.
Side A:
In 1827, noted evangelist Walter Scott came to Canfield and visited with a number of area Baptist families living on Palmyra Road and in the vicinity of Dean Hill. A follower of Alexander Campbell, Scott delivered powerful sermons that persuaded some to establish a new church congregation in the Disciple faith. After meeting in congregation members' homes, a framed meeting house was erected circa 1830 on land purchased from William and Orsemus Dean. This church stood across from William Dean's brick residence. A burial ground was provided at the site with existing grave markers dating to 1837. Veterans from all the wars of this nation are buried here, including Benjamin Dean of the 105th Ohio Infantry Regiment who died from wounds suffered in the 1863 Battle of Murfreesboro in Tennessee. (continued on other side)
Side B:
(continued from other side) According to some, there are few more sightly and beautiful locations on the Western Reserve than the crest of Dean Hill where the Disciple congregation grew rapidly. The church continued to meet regularly until 1865, but by 1848 members living in the Village of Canfield had withdrawn from Dean Hill to form a second Disciple Church near the south end of the Village Green. Eventually the Disciple churches in Canfield and North
Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site Marker - Side B image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, May 19, 2013
2. Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site Marker - Side B
Jackson absorbed the diminished Dean Hill congregation. The old frame church was a conspicuous landmark until it was razed in the late 1880s. Today only the carriage step stone remains as a reminder of the church location. The Dean Hill Cemetery continues to serve as a final resting place for descendants of its founders and for the Canfield community.
 
Erected 2009 by Canfield Historical Society and Robert H. and Maxine D. Neff Family and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 30-50.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 2.096′ N, 80° 47.693′ W. Marker is near Canfield, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is on Palmyra Road 0.2 miles east of Calico Lane, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located at the entrance to Dean Hill Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Canfield OH 44406, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard (approx. 1.8 miles away); Elisha Whittlesey (approx. 1.9 miles away); Canfield Green (approx. 1.9 miles away); Canfield Township Hall
Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, May 19, 2013
3. Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site Marker
(approx. 2 miles away); The Mahoning Dispatch Building (approx. 2 miles away); Canfield WPA Memorial Building (approx. 2 miles away); Canfield Congregational Church / Canfield United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Canfield War Vet Museum (approx. 2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Canfield.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement