Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

New Ulm

 
 
New Ulm Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
1. New Ulm Marker
Inscription. In 1851, leaders of the Dakota Nation signed the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux with the United States Government. This treaty opened new lands in Minnesota Territory for settlement. Two years later, German immigrants in Chicago, led by Frederick Beinhorn, formed the Chicago Land Society. They sent Athanasius Henle, Frank Massopust, Christian Ludwig Meyer, and Alois Palmer to search for a suitable site for a town. On Oct. 7, 1854, the scouting party selected an ideal location near the confluence of the Minnesota and Cottonwood rivers. The site was recommended by a French fur trader, Joseph La Framboise.

In May of 1855, members of the Chicago group reorganized as the "German Land Association of Minnesota." They named the site "New Ulm" because many original settlers came from the vicinity of Ulm in Württemberg, Germany. The following year they filed on 16 quarter-sections of land. At this time, members of the Turner Colonization Society of Cincinnati arrived in New Ulm seeking land for a German Colony. The two groups agreed to merge and incorporated the town of New Ulm on March 6, 1857.

The careful planning of the first settlers is evident in New Ulm today. Wide tree-lined streets, spacious boulevards, and numerous parks and public areas are part of their original plan. The town survived the catastrophes of the Dakota
New Ulm Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
2. New Ulm Marker
east side of marker with duplicate text
War (1862), a tornado (1881), grasshopper plaques and crop failures. The City of New Ulm, nestled in the Minnesota River Valley, remains full of old-world charm and tradition, a tribute to the pioneering vision of its founders.

Erected by the Brown County Historical Society
and City of New Ulm. 1994

 
Erected 1994 by the Brown County Historical Society and City of New Ulm.
 
Location. 44° 18.84′ N, 94° 27.685′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on North Broadway (State Highway 15/68) north of 1st North Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at the New Ulm City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Broadway, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arbeiter Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Forster Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Two Battles of New Ulm (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Nix Platz (within shouting distance of this marker); Somsen Hitching Post (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
New Ulm Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
3. New Ulm Marker
Dacotah House (about 300 feet away); Erd Building (about 400 feet away); Crone Store (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New Ulm.
 
Also see . . .
1. New Ulm, Minnesota. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on May 20, 2013.) 

2. City of New Ulm. About our City. (Submitted on May 20, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
New Ulm Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
4. New Ulm Marker
New Ulm City Hall
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement