Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Philipsburg in Centre County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Plumbe Forge

 
 
Plumbe Forge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 27, 2013
1. Plumbe Forge Marker
Inscription. About six-tenths mile north are the remains of the forge built by Dr. John Plumbe in 1828. Here, "blooms" were made from pig iron carried from the Bald Eagle Valley by mule. Costs of hauling products to the Pennsylvania Canal caused the forge to close in 1842.
 
Erected 1969 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 54.547′ N, 78° 6.271′ W. Marker is near Philipsburg, Pennsylvania, in Centre County. Marker is at the intersection of Black Moshannon Road (Pennsylvania Route 504) and Sixmile Run Road, on the left when traveling east on Black Moshannon Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philipsburg PA 16866, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Halehurst (approx. 6 miles away); Philipsburg (approx. 6.1 miles away); Juniata Iron (approx. 7.2 miles away); Scotia (approx. 10.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Plumbe Forge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 27, 2013
2. Plumbe Forge Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement