Liberal in Seward County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Original Hand-Dug Well
Approximately four-tenths of a mile south of this fountain and marker on Seymour S. Rogers' homestead was the original hand-dug well which gave Liberal its name.
In 1885 Rogers began offering free water from this well to settlers and trail-weary travelers. Free water brought the expression from them, "That's mighty liberal!" The name Liberal was first used officially to designate the post office, established June 14, 1886, at Rogers' settlement.
Upon the arrival of the Chicago, Kansas & Nebraska R.R. in April, 1888, the town site was moved one mile east and retained the name Liberal.
Erected 1974 by Liberal Woman's Club, Member GFWC.
Location. 37° 2.766′ N, 100° 56.4′ W. Marker is in Liberal, Kansas, in Seward County. Marker is on Western Drive north of 7th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in Blue Bonnet Park. Marker is in this post office area: Liberal KS 67901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. International Pancake Day (approx. one mile away); The Pioneer Mother of Kansas (approx. one mile away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty Liberal Memorial Library (approx. one mile away); War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Seward County War Dead and Missing in Action (approx. 1.1 miles away); When Coronado came to Kansas (approx. 1.9 miles away); Panhandle Baptists (approx. 9.4 miles away in Oklahoma). Click for a list of all markers in Liberal.
Also see . . . Our Community - Liberal, Kansas. (Submitted on June 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 414 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.