Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belle Plaine in Scott County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration

 
 
The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
1. The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Marker
Inscription. In 1867 a New York architect sent the plans for a new church in Belle Plaine to Bishop Whipple. The church was built in 1868 on land contributed by Territorial Judge Andrew G. Chatfield, founder of Belle Plaine. The congregation organized in 1858 and peaked in 1871, when the Parochial Report to the Diocese showed 16 families with a total of 70 members.

In the 1860s and 1870s immigrants were coming to the Minnesota River Valley in large numbers from Germany, Ireland and Czechoslovakia. These Lutherans and Roman Catholics brought their own clergy and formed ethnic churches having no need for an English - speaking Episcopal Church. For some, the Episcopal Church had an aristocratic image that made it seem incompatible with frontier life. The congregation slowly dwindled and disbanded in the 1950s.

The architecture of the church is Prairie Gothic. Pointed arches, a steeply gabled roof, and functional buttresses made out of wood characterized this architectural style. The Episcopal Church's employment of Gothic architecture, popular at the time, symbolized tradition and history in the newly settled Minnesota River Valley.

Erected in 1999
Scott County Historical Society

 
Erected 1999 by the Scott County Historical Society.
 
Location.
The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
2. The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Marker
east side of marker with duplicate text
44° 37.473′ N, 93° 45.815′ W. Marker is in Belle Plaine, Minnesota, in Scott County. Marker is on North Walnut Street (State Highway 25) north of East Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at Founders Memorial Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Walnut Street, Belle Plaine MN 56011, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nachbar Donated Site (approx. 7.2 miles away); Service Roll (approx. 8.4 miles away); Exiled from Their Homeland (approx. 9.6 miles away); The U.S.–Dakota War of 1862 (approx. 9.6 miles away); Joseph R. Brown Minnesota River Center (approx. 9.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Belle Plaine.
 
Also see . . .  Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration (Belle Plaine, Minnesota). Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 11, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Man-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
3. The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Marker
Marker and Church image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
4. Marker and Church
Marker and Church image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
5. Marker and Church
The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
6. The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration
The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
7. The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration
The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
8. The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration
National Register of Historic Places #80002159
The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Sign image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
9. The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Sign
The Scott County Historical Society Founded 1854 Organized 1858 Constructed 1868 Consecrated 1870
Founders Memorial Park image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2013
10. Founders Memorial Park
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   5. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement