Barrington Hills in McHenry County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
David Haeger School and Cemetery
The original school was on the Haeger farm directly North across Spring Creek Road, where Meadow Hill Road ends. As student enrollment increased, a separate building was needed and constructed on the cemetery grounds in the 1860s. This frame one-room schoolhouse also served as a community meeting hall and church. Haeger School closed in the 1940s, as well other one-room schools in Barrington; most were consolidated into Countryside School on Lake-Cook Road.
The adjoining Haeger Cemetery was dedicated by deed in 1854. Some burials took place prior to that time with the oldest headstone dating back to 1842. Four members of the David Haeger family are at rest here along with other early settlers of the region. The cemetery has been closed to burials for over 100 years; the latest headstone is dated 1894.
Erected 2012 by The Haeger-Estes-Zachrich Family, the Barrington History Museum, and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 10.117′ N, 88° 13.175′ W. Marker is in Barrington Hills, Illinois, in McHenry County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Creek Road and Meadow Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Spring Creek Road. Click for map. Located inside the Haeger Cemetery, which is fenced with a locked gate. The marker is facing north toward Spring Creek Rd. Marker is at or near this postal address: 74 Meadow Hill Road, Barrington IL 60010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goodrich Homestead (approx. one mile away); World War II Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Cary Cemetery - 1839 (approx. 3 miles away); Algonquin Village Hall and Public Square (approx. 3.7 miles away); Dundee Veterans Honor Roll (approx. 5.4 miles away); West Dundee Riverwalk (approx. 5.6 miles away); Otto J. Maha (approx. 5.7 miles away); W. [William] W. & Phebe Welch (approx. 5.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker was dedicated on the same day as the Goodrich Homestead marker, on Oct. 6, 2012. Both are in McHenry County. This is a first for the State of Illinois to have two historical marker dedications on the same day. These historical markers are also the first in the Barrington area.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bonnie Duresa of Barrington Hills, Illinois. This page has been viewed 664 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on , by Bonnie Duresa of Barrington Hills, Illinois. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bonnie Duresa of Barrington Hills, Illinois. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.