Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Paul's Cathedral

 
 
St. Paul's Cathedral Marker image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, April 22, 2013
1. St. Paul's Cathedral Marker
Inscription. St. Paulís Episcopal Church was the first permanent house of worship erected in Buffalo; the cornerstone was laid june 24, 1819. Being one of the largest public buildings in the village, St. Paulís was the scene of numerous religious and civic activities. The first recorded Roman Catholic Mass in Buffalo was offered in St. Paulís. The completion of the Erie Canal, in 1825, ended the role of St. Paulís Church as a simple mission on the western frontier of New York State. Buffalo grew rapidly St. Paulís became the mother church to newer parishes.

On September 15, 1825, St. Paulís was the center for an extraordinary ecumenical event- It was designed to launch an unprecedented humanitarian relief effort. Mordecai Noah, of New York City,proposed that Grand Island, down river from Buffalo, become a City of Refuge, to be named Ararat. This was to be a proto-Zionist solution to millennia of jewish exile and homelessness. The Rev.Addison Searle permitted the dedicatory ceremony to be held, with much pomp, in St. Paulís. The project was not successful.

The present church, designed by Richard Upjohn, was completed in 1851. It was designated as the Episcopal Cathedral in 1866. On May 10, 1888, the Cathedral was almost entirely destroyed by fire. Only the outer walls and two spires remained. Dr. Israel Aaron, Rabbi of Temple Beth
St. Paul's Cathedral image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, April 22, 2013
2. St. Paul's Cathedral
Zion, offered St. Paulís congregation free use of the Temple on Sundays until their church could be rebuilt. The restored Cathedral was dedicated on January 3, 1890.

Today, the Cathedral Parish of St. Paul continues its long history of ecumenism, social service and spiritual ministry to the metropolitan community. Wardens and Vestry of St. Paul's Cathedral and the Very Rev. N. DeLiza Spangler, Dean of the Cathedral and The Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 42° 52.971′ N, 78° 52.552′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from Main Street just from Church Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo NY 14218, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The City of Buffalo Sent 18893 Men to Serve in the Great War (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Ellicott Square Building (within shouting distance of this marker); General Kazimierz Pulaski
St. Paul's Cathedral National Historic Landmark Marker image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, April 22, 2013
3. St. Paul's Cathedral National Historic Landmark Marker
This is on the opposite side of the church from this plaque
(within shouting distance of this marker); First Greek Settlers of Buffalo (within shouting distance of this marker); Ellicott Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Prudential (Guaranty) Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Grover Cleveland (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Buffalo.
 
Also see . . .  HABS Record for Saint Paul's Episcopal Church. HABS Statement of Significance: St. Paul's Cathedral a key architectural landmark in downtown Buffalo serves as visual anchor for the south Main Street area. It is flanked on the west by Sullivan's Prudential Building of 1894-95 (NY-5487), and on the east by D. H. Burnham's Ellicott Square Building of 1895. With new commercial buildings rising above it to the north, the Cathedral and its surrounding park create an open, low-profile, pedestrian space. (Submitted on January 4, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
<i>St. Paul's Church, Buffalo, N.Y.</i> image. Click for full size.
Postcard published by Albert M. Wilson, 1890
4. St. Paul's Church, Buffalo, N.Y.
This hand-tinted postcard is based on an 1890 photograph held in the collection of Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society. Printed Germany, with a divided back and a postmark of 1911, the postcard itself was likely published between 1905 and 1910.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York.   4. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement