“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alleghany in Sierra County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)


Alleghany Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2013
1. Alleghany Marker
Inscription. Alleghany, “The Treasure Town,” was made up several mining camps; Smith’s Flat, Kanaka Flat, Wet Ravine, Cumberland and Kanaka City. All were established within a few months period in 1851, with Smith’s Flat being the first.

Among the first miners were J. McCormic and Perry Bonhanm from Alleghany, Pennsylvania. They started a drift mine called the Alleghany Company Tunnel in April 1853 and tapped paystreak in 1855. In early spring of 1856 a town, originally called Jericho or Alleghanytown was laid out.

On Nov. 19, 1857, Alleghany received recognition when the Chips Flat post office was transferred there. Several rich load mines were near Alleghany, the largest being the Sixteen To One, which ultimately yielded between 25 and 50 million dollars in gold. In 1854 there was considerable business activity; a banking house, express companies, merchandise stores, saloons – one complete with a bowling alley, a hardware store, butcher shop, clothing establishments, bookstore, drugstore, several hotels and brothels. On July 27, 1877 an attempted robbery of an E Clampus Vitus treasure box on the Mountain House Rd. took place. Masked men demanded the box, but upon the Clamper sign being given, the returned it. Fortunately the bandits were Clampers and allowed Brother Lane to pass without molestation. Alleghany
Alleghany Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2013
2. Alleghany Marker
mines were known for huge nuggets. One nugget weighed 45 pounds and immense boulders of quartz laden with gold, one piece was 6 feet in length.
Erected 1990 by E Clampus Vitus, Major William Downie Chapter No. 1849.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 39° 28.154′ N, 120° 50.593′ W. Marker is in Alleghany, California, in Sierra County. Marker is at the intersection of Miners Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling south on Miners Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alleghany CA 95910, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bovee Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Sixteen to One Mine (approx. ¼ mile away); Rite Here (approx. 1.3 miles away); Stamp Mill (approx. 1.5 miles away); Forest City Brewery (approx. 1.5 miles away); Forest City Dance Hall (approx. 1.5 miles away); Forest City (approx. 1.5 miles away); Bald Mountain Mine (approx. 1.5 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Alleghany.
Also see . . .  Alleghany - Gold Districts of California. Alleghany was the most famous high-grade gold mining district in California. The value of the total output is unknown, estimated at $50 million. Much of this production was from small but spectacularly rich ore bodies. (Submitted on June 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
Categories. Natural ResourcesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement