Kenosha in Kenosha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Warters Towslee, Sydney Roberts and Chas W. Turner, Representatives of the Western Emigration Company of Hannibal, New York, arrived at the mouth of Pike Creek on this island in June, 1835, fulfilling their mission of finding a good harbor and good farming country where they could take up permanent residence. This new little town was called Pike. A few years later the name was changed to Southport, and in 1850, when it became a city, it took a new name--Kenosha, an Indian name for Pike.
Erected 2004 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 42° 35.443′ N, 87° 48.867′ W. Marker is in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in Kenosha County. Marker is on Simmons Island Road 0.1 miles east of 4th Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located in front of the Beach House in Simmons Island Park. Marker is in this post office area: Kenosha WI 53140, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Simmon's [sic] Island Beach House (within shouting distance of this marker); Simmons Island Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Remember Pearl Harbor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Vessels (approx. 0.3 miles away); Naval Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The United States Marine Corps (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kenosha.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 265 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 2. submitted on . 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.