“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Keysville in Charlotte County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)


Foraging and Destruction


—Wilson-Kautz Raid —

Keysville CWT Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 15, 2013
1. Keysville CWT Marker
Inscription. In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling stock. The combined Wilson-Kautz column reached here by nightfall of June 24 from Meherrin Station. Wilson made his headquarters nearby in the old Keysville Hotel. The Federals burned the harness store, tracks and associated railroad support structures that stood here. On the morning of June 25, a detail of the 5th Pennsylvania Cavalry destroyed Johnson’s Saw Mill, another private mill, and a company mill. The Masonic building and a smokehouse also were burned. Several large foraging parties left from here to confiscate food and seize horses for replacement mounts.

“My company was sent out on a cross road to do picket duty. We made our headquarters at the house of Mr. Foster, whose wife, although she had been born in Ohio, appeared to be a very ardent sympathizer with the Confederates.” — Trooper Wilbur F. Lunt, 1st Maine Cavalry

“This mill and another private Mill, with the company mill, three in all, were the only resources the enemy would have from whence to get timber and repair the road. They were all completely destroyed.”
Keysville CWT Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 15, 2013
2. Keysville CWT Marker
— Col. Robert West, 5th Pennsylvania Cavalry

“Nor is to be denied a good deal of foraging was done.... [W]hatever the smokehouse or spring house, or the field or garden or stall or pasture of a rebel contained, which was capable of being readily converted into good food was remorselessly appropriated without waiting for either commissary or quartermaster process. These acts of the boys were never denied; and yet there could never be discovered any signs of penitence on account of them.” — Trooper Edward P. Tobie, 1st Maine Cavalry
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 2.407′ N, 78° 28.924′ W. Marker is in Keysville, Virginia, in Charlotte County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street (Virginia Route 40) and J Street, on the left when traveling east on King Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keysville VA 23947, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Campaign of 1781 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Early Exploration (approx. 1.1 miles away); Southside Virginia Community College (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Briery Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Joseph Morton (approx. 3.2 miles away); Charlotte County / Prince Edward County (approx. 3.3 miles away); Greenfield (approx. 5.9 miles away); Edgehill (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Keysville.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement