Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Port Republic in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

School #7

Rural One-Room School During Segregation

 

—Calvert County — Port Republic —

 
School #7 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 3, 2010
1. School #7 Marker
Inscription. Port Republic School #7 was built on this site around 1870 and remained in continuous use until it was closed in 1932. This school is from a time when free public education for all was a new concept in post-Civil War America.

This schoolhouse served to educate white children in grades 1 - 7, all in the same classroom, usually with only one teacher providing instruction in all subject areas. In addition to the "3R's" (reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic) rural one-room school teachers also taught science, geography and history.

One room schools were located throughout the county so that no child would have to walk more than three miles to school. Only as roads improved in Calvert County did centralized schools begin to be built, and children were then transported by bus to Prince Frederick.

In 1976, the Calvert Retired Teachers Association restored the one-room school as a Bicentennial project and they continue to run the educational programs that are available to all schools. It is open to the public on designated days and by appointment.

Captions in Lower Left-Hand Corner of Marker

Student Ann Cranford in the early 1930's, with supplies - some donated by companies - for free lunch programs.

The iron "chunk" stove provided the only source of heat. Boys gathered wood for the stove
Port Republic School #7 image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 3, 2010
2. Port Republic School #7
from the shed nearby.

There was no electricity and water was carried from a neary spring.

Two outhouses were the only toilet facilities.

Class photos show the Port Republic School #7 in the 1910's and 1920's.
 
Erected by Southern Maryland Heritage Partnership “Where Time and Tide Meet”.
 
Location. 38° 29.716′ N, 76° 32.214′ W. Marker is near Port Republic, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker can be reached from Broomes Island Road (Maryland Route 264) 0.4 miles south of Solomons Island Road (Maryland Route 2), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3070 Broome Island Rd, Port Republic MD 20676, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. One-Room School (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veitch’s Cove (approx. 1.8 miles away); Turning Point (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Leonard Polling House and Garden of Remembrance (approx. 2.4 miles away); Battle Creek Cypress Swamp (approx. 2.9 miles
Port Republic School #7 image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 3, 2010
3. Port Republic School #7
away); Prince Frederick Library “Firsts” (approx. 3.9 miles away); Panic in Prince Frederick (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Republic.
 
Categories. Education
 
Port Republic School #7 image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 3, 2010
4. Port Republic School #7
Student Ann Cranford in the early 1930's, with supplies - some donated by companies - for free lunch image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 16, 2013
5. Student Ann Cranford in the early 1930's, with supplies - some donated by companies - for free lunch
Close-up of photo on marker
Class photo shows the Port Republic School #7 in the 1910's, image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 16, 2013
6. Class photo shows the Port Republic School #7 in the 1910's,
Close-up of photo on marker
Class photo shows the Port Republic School #7 in the 1920's. image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 16, 2013
7. Class photo shows the Port Republic School #7 in the 1920's.
Close-up of photo on marker
Inside School # 7 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 16, 2013
8. Inside School # 7
The iron "chunk" stove provided the only source of heat. Boys gathered wood for the stove from the shed nearby.

There was no electricity and water was carried from a neary spring.

Two outhouses were the only toilet facilities
Close-up of photo on marker
School #7 Before the 1976 Renovation image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 16, 2013
9. School #7 Before the 1976 Renovation
Close-up of photo on marker
1976 Dedication image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 16, 2013
10. 1976 Dedication
Schoolhouse dedication ceremony following clean-up and renovations in 1976.
Close-up of photo on marker
Port Republic School # 7 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 16, 2013
11. Port Republic School # 7
Restored
by
Calvert Retired Teachers
Assn.
As a bicentennial Project
One-Room School image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 16, 2013
12. One-Room School
Port Republic School No. 7, built about 1870 and closed in 1932. One teacher usually taught seven grades. Children walked to school from as far as three miles away. In the 59 similar schools throughout Calvert County, enrollment averaged about 30.

This building was restored in 1977 by the Calvert Retired Teachers Association.

Calvert County Historical Society Board of County Commissioners and Maryland Historical Society
Nearby Historical Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 906 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement