“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Middleton's Beginning

Middleton's Beginning Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, June 18, 2013
1. Middleton's Beginning Marker
Inscription. This immediate area was the site of the first Middleton, settled shortly after Dane County was formed. Early settlers Harry Barnes and his father, Joe, were captains in the Civil War. Harry suggested that the area be called Middletown, after his home in Vermont. When the township was established in 1847 it was named Middleton.

The cemetery was started at the top of the hill with the first burial in 1850. The Barnes families were buried there. Later additions brought the cemetery to the road, often referred to as Military Road or Stagecoach Road. It was the route used by teams hauling lead from Mineral Point to Milwaukee. The University farm home across the road, built by James D. Sanford, served as an inn and informal post office. Mr. Sanford also built a log building across the road from here which served as a first (private) school. Also in the area Ebenezer Clewett built the Junction House Hotel. There are several of the original homes still in use in the immediate area. A Congregational Church stood at this site until 1891, and a Methodist church stood at the N.E. corner of the cemetery.

Early burials of note were: Clewett; Sanford; Joseph and Constance Taylor, great-grandparents of Wisconsin writer Zona Gale; Solomon Freeman, a freed slave who served the Middleton community; John W. and Lydia Morse, grandparents
Middleton's Beginning Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, June 18, 2013
2. Middleton's Beginning Marker
of Senator Wayne Morse; Jno McIntosh, a veteran of the war of 1812; nineteen Civil War veterans; George W. VanNorman, a Spanish-American war veteran; and three generations of Drs. Rowley who served the area.

When the railroad came through to the north in 1856, the village of Middleton developed there and this area became known as Middleton Junction.
Erected 1985 by Friends of the Middleton Cemetery Association.
Location. 43° 3.634′ N, 89° 31.715′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Mineral Point Road and Junction Road, on the right when traveling west on Mineral Point Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53717, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Second Herbert and Katherine Jacobs House (approx. one mile away); The Big Church on the Hillside (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Lemcke Farm House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hocheera (approx. 2.9 miles away); Early Social Whirl (approx. 3 miles away); Hickory Hill House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Thorstrand (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Stamm House (approx. 3.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
More about this marker. The area around this marker has been heavily developed in recent years and the buildings referenced on the marker do not appear to exist any longer.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement