Magalia in Butte County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
It was named Dogtown for the dogs
raised and sold to the miners by
a woman named Bassett.
Erected 1985 by E Clampus Vitus, Pair-O-Dice Chapter No. 7-11.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 39° 48.437′ N, 121° 34.777′ W. Marker is in Magalia, California, in Butte County. Marker is on Old Skyway Road near Kraus Court, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13709 Old Skyway Road, Magalia CA 95954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Magalia Community Church / The Magalia Schoolhouse Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dogtown Nugget (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Magalia Depot & Butte County Railroad” (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Old Paradise (approx. 3.6 miles away); Centerville Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Paradise Pioneers (approx. 4.3 miles away); Centerville School (approx. 4.3 miles away); PFC. Steven J. Walberg-Riotto (approx. 4.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Magalia.
Also see . . . Welcome to Dogtown, Butte County, California - California Terratorial Quarterly. Located in northern California, Dogtown was established as a gold mining camp shortly after the 1849 California gold rush on a ridge overlooking the West Branch of the Feather River Canyon. (Submitted on June 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.