Galesville in Trempealeau County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Gale College Historic District
George Gale (1816-1868) was born in Vermont and came to practice law in Wisconsin in 1841. He was a delegate to the state constitutional convention in 1847-48, and later served as a state senator and circuit judge. In 1853, Judge Gale purchased a large tract of land in the area and platted Galesville in 1854. That same year he received a charter to establish a college in Galesville and the first classes were held in 1859. Designed by a local architect and built with locally quarried limestone. Main Hall (1859-1862) is typical of the early Italianate style.
Originally associated with the Methodist-Episcopal Church, the college was later operated by the Presbyterian Church from 1877 until 1901. The Lutheran Church took over in 1901 and built two large dormitories. The tan brick St. Joseph's Hall (1906) has neo-Classical decorative elements. The George Gale gravesite is located directly behind St. Joseph's Hall. The red brick St.
In 1941, the Society of Mary purchased the property and renamed the college Marynook. The Catholic brothers operated the buildings as a novitiate and built the rough-cut limestone St. Mary's Hall (1965). Later, Marynook became an ecumenical retreat center. In 1995, the entire former Gale College campus and buildings were purchased by the City of Galesville. The Gale College Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Wisconsin Historical Society
Erected 2009 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 531.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 44° 4.762′ N, 91° 22.043′ W. Marker is in Galesville, Wisconsin, in Trempealeau County. Marker is on College Avenue west of South Twelfth Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20869 South 12th Street, Galesville WI 54630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John F. Cance / Galesville Area Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Ridge Avenue Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Downtown Galesville Historic District (approx. one mile away); Galesville (approx. one mile away); Galesville Bridge (approx. one mile away); Decorah Peak (approx. 2.3 miles away); The McGilvray "Seven Bridges Road" (approx. 5 miles away); The Mississippi River Parkway: (approx. 6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Galesville.
Also see . . .
1. Old Main Historical and Community Arts Center. (Submitted on June 22, 2013.)
2. Gale College. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 22, 2013.)
3. Galesville University. History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917. (Submitted on June 22, 2013.)
Additional keywords. Old Main Historical & Community Arts Center
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 309 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.