Hilton Head in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fish Hall Plantation
Inscription. This plantation was part of a 1717 Proprietary landgrant of 500 acres to Col. John Barnwell. Later owners included members of the Green, Ellis, and Pope families. Nearby tabby ruins are remains of fire places of slave cabins. Graves of blacks, who made up most of the island's population until after the 1950's, are in nearby Drayton Cemetery.
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
1. Fish Hall Plantation Marker
Erected 1985 by Beaufort County Council. (Marker Number 7-18.)
Location. 32° 14.732′ N, 80° 41.793′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Fish Haul Road near Mitchelville Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at Barker (baseball) Field. Marker is in this post office area: Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Fenwick Drayton (here, next to this marker); Mitchelville Site (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. James Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Howell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of Port Royal (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hilton Head (approx. 1.3 miles away); Steam Gun (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Regarding Fish Hall Plantation.
Tabby is a building material, made from shells, lime, and water, which forms a sort of concrete. It was used for all sorts of structures, due to a shortage of brick.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. A" tabby" piece of structure seen in backround
Also see . . . National Register Properties in South Carolina. The Fish Haul site represents the only known freedmen village established by occupying Union troops. Listed in the National Register June 30, 1988.
****note**** Limited access, not for general public (Submitted on March 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Colonial Era • Notable Places •
By Mike Stroud, March 6, 2011
3. Fish Hall Plantation Marker with new paint
By Mike Stroud, 2009
4. Fish Hall Plantation , From Interpretive sign, Port Royal Plantation, Hilton Head Island
General Drayton at Fish Hall Plantation in 1860.
General Thomas Drayton's wife's family had
owned since 1763 an island plantation called
Fish Hall Plantation. General Drayton, warden
and Vestryman of St. Luke's Parish, owned
102 slaves, many of whom joined the work
force of the Union establishment soon after
the Battle of Port Royal. Fish Hall Plantation
was located approximately ¾ of a mile north
from this point. [ site of Fort Walker; coordinates
32.232742 -80.677156 ]
Editor's Note: The photo pictured here was taken in May 1862 by photographer Henry P. Moore (1833-1911) and is available through the Gladstone Collection in the Library of Congress.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
5. Fish Hall Plantation, part of Interpretive Marker at Fort Walker site, Port Royal Plantation
The Charleston and Savannah Railroad, today
part of the Seaboard Coast Line System, [ CSX]
was built in 1853 by General Thomas Fenwick
Drayton. General Drayton in 1838 married Emma
Pope, heiress of Fish Hall Plantation, located
approximately one mile across the marsh
northwest of this point. The C&S Railroad
remained an important Confederate rail link
until early 1865 despite many Union attempts
to sever it.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,359 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.