“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Weymouth in Norfolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)

History of NAS South Weymouth

Shea Field Memorial Grove

History of NAS South Weymouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 26, 2013
1. History of NAS South Weymouth Marker
Inscription. Naval Air Station South Weymouth was a U.S. Navy installation from 1942 to 1997. It was established as a blimp base during the Second World War. Later, during the post-war era, NAS South Weymouth hosted a changing variety of regular Navy, Navy Reserve and Marine Corps Reserve units.

Originally, NAS South Weymouth had two enormous blimp hangers, one steel-framed and the other almost entirely made of wool. These hangers were among the largest structures in the world at that time.

On June 30th, 1949 NAS South Weymouth was closed and re-designated an auxiliary landing facility. The wooden blimp hanger was torn down and three paved runways were built between 1951 and 1953 so the base could take over the Navy and Marine Corps Reserve operations from nearby NAS Squantum, located in Quincy. NAS South Weymouth was reopened as part of the Naval Air Reserve Training Command on December 4th, 1953. All the Navy and Marine Corps reserve units that had been based at NAS Squantum were transferred to NAS South Weymouth. On October 14th, 1954 the name “Shea Field” was transferred from former NAS Squantum to the airfield at NAS South Weymouth to perpetuate the memory of Navy Commander John J. Shea, a local naval officer who was killed in action when the aircraft carrier USS Wasp was sunk off the Solomon Islands by a Japanese
History of NAS South Weymouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 26, 2013
2. History of NAS South Weymouth Marker
submarine on September 15th, 1942. NAS “SOWEY” was primarily a reserve training base after it was reopened, from December 1953 through September 1997. The Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) of 1993 directed NAS South Weymouth to be closed. The airfield was closed on September 30th, 1996. The Base itself was vacated by the Navy on September 30th, 1997.

Grove and A-4 maintained by members of the Association of Naval Aviation Patriot Squadron
Location. 42° 9.87′ N, 70° 56.76′ W. Marker is in South Weymouth, Massachusetts, in Norfolk County. Marker is at the intersection of Shea Memorial Drive and Memorial Grove Avenue on Shea Memorial Drive. Click for map. This marker is on the base of the aircraft. Marker is in this post office area: South Weymouth MA 02190, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawk (here, next to this marker); Shea Field Memorial Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Adams National Historical Park (approx. 5.9 miles away); Samuel Lincoln House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Old Ship Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hingham Massachusetts (approx. 6.2 miles away); Reverend Peter Hobart (approx. 6.3 miles away); Henry Adams (approx. 6.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in South Weymouth.
Categories. War, World II
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement