Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Upper Minnesota River Transportation

 
 
Upper Minnesota River Transportation Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, June 20, 2013
1. Upper Minnesota River Transportation Marker
Inscription. The first river steamboat, WEST NEWTON, passed by here in 1853 going upriver with troops to lay out the site of Fort Ridgely. Two days later TIGER and CLARION followed with men and supplies.

For the next twenty years boats brought settlers, soldiers, freight, Indian supplies and gold to the area; the boat landing near this site was very important to New Ulm, settled in 1855.

Boats varied in size, characteristic and significance. WAVE had a melodious bell; TIME AND TIDE and JEANETTE ROBERTS arrived early in spring; FRANKLIN STEELE was 'old friend' because of the many German settlers it brought to the country. NEW ULM BELLE was protected by government issued ammunition in 1862 during Indian warfare. In 1867 CHIPPEWA unloaded the first threshing machines at New Ulm. In 1870 DEXTER loaded 24,000 bushels of wheat and transported it to St. Louis, and the HUDSON, owned by Winona St. Peter Railroad, largest boat landing here, loaded 15,000 bushels of wheat in 1871.

The OTTER made 22 trips to New Ulm in 1865 and brought in over a million pounds of supplies and lumber, and loaded over four million pounds (butter, hides, earthenware and
Upper Minnesota River Transportation Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, June 20, 2013
2. Upper Minnesota River Transportation Marker
east side of marker with duplicate text
30,000 bushels of wheat, barley, and oats). Rebuilt as a freight barge in 1872, when the railroad reached the county, the OTTER was stranded and abandoned above New Ulm in 1878, and the last boat was gone forever from the river.

Sponsored by Brown County Historical Society and Victor P. Reim - 1970

 
Erected 1970 by the Brown County Historical Society and Victor P. Reim.
 
Location. 44° 18.921′ N, 94° 27.157′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on South Front Street north of 1st South Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at Riverside Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South Front Street, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gänseviertel (Goosetown) (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Meat Market (approx. 0.3 miles away); German–Bohemian Immigrants Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Flandrau's Charge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brown County Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); U.S. - Dakota War Memorial
Upper Minnesota River Transportation Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, June 20, 2013
3. Upper Minnesota River Transportation Marker
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Boesch, Hummel, and Maltzahn Block (approx. 0.3 miles away); Erd Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Ulm.
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Upper Minnesota River Transportation Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, June 20, 2013
4. Upper Minnesota River Transportation Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement