Stockton in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Historic Stockton / Old Schoolyard Park
Modern Stockton is situated on a hill just above the original settlement, which was abandoned around 1840 because of Yellow Fever outbreaks. No verified source for the town name exists. Most likely it was named by the local postmaster. The Indian mounds located near Stockton are witnesses of a prehistoric Indian population in the area. In the latter 1700s, Stockton was the most populous settlement in this area, excepting Mobile. Some records indicate the town was settled by Tory refugees from the Atlantic States during the Revolutionary War. Early Stockton residents included the English Commandant of Mobile, Major Robert Farmer who was visited in 1778 by William Bartram, the noted botanist. At that time the town was an English trading post. Later Stockton settlers built saw mills, a small church, a school, and a Masonic hall. The old bell used in the Stockton Presbyterian Church is thought to have been cast in Scotland and brought to America. Stockton today is mostly a residential community with some logging and farming occupations.
(Continued on other side)
Old Schoolyard Park
(Continued from other side)
This 11.86-acre site was acquired from A.B. Crosby in 1928 for the sum of $500. Upon it was built Stockton Junior High School, which
Location. 31° 0.658′ N, 87° 51.035′ W. Marker is in Stockton, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Alabama Route 59, on the right. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 53871 Alabama Highway 59, Stockton AL 36579, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stockton Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bartramís Trail (approx. one mile away); The Mound Line (approx. 1.1 miles away); Major Robert Farmar Plantation (approx. 2.2 miles away); Kennedy Mill, c.1811 (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ellicott's Stone (approx. 10.4 miles away); Site of Old Mobile (approx. 11.1 miles away); Fort Stoddert (approx. 11.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stockton.
Also see . . . Stockton, Alabama. This website contains historical write-ups along with additional historical photos of the Stockton area. (Submitted on June 29, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 193 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.