Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cullman in Cullman County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Cullman, Alabama

 
 
Cullman, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, April 3, 2013
1. Cullman, Alabama Marker
Inscription. The city of Cullman is the county seat of Cullman County, which had scattered settlers as early as 1823. Called "The Crossroads of the True South," Cullman was founded by Col. Johann Gottfried Cullmann. After fleeing his German homeland and living in Cincinnati, he became a land agent for the North & South Railroad. When he came to the Cullman area, it was similar to the land he left behind, so he encouraged settlers to move with him to Cullman by advertising in German newspapers all over the U.S. In 1873, he arrived with five families to begin a settlement here. As an engineer, he designed the wide streets and laid out the town plat. Over the years, Cullman has excelled as one of the top agricultural and poultry producing counties in Alabama. It has also served as home to three governors: James Folsom Sr., James Folsom Jr., and Guy Hunt.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Cullman.
 
Location. 34° 10.802′ N, 86° 50.626′ W. Marker is in Cullman, Alabama, in Cullman County. Marker is on Arnold Street NE just from 2nd Street NE, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cullman AL 35055, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Cullman, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, April 3, 2013
2. Cullman, Alabama Marker
of this marker. Johann Gottfried Cullmann (within shouting distance of this marker); Cullman Railroad Depot (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here (about 600 feet away); “Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Weiss Cottage (approx. 0.4 miles away); Betz Addition Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Sand Mountain Plateau (approx. half a mile away); Evangelical Protestant Church (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Cullman.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement