Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Protest Against Removing War Munitions
A mass meeting was held December 27th, 1860 to protest against removing war munitions from the Allegheny Arsenal to the south.
The order was countermanded by president James Buchanan.
Erected 1916 by The Women's Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
Location. 40° 26.325′ N, 79° 59.819′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Grant Street and Forbes Avenue. Click for map. Located on the southeast corner of the Allegheny County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grant's Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Allegheny County (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Clay Frick (within shouting distance of this marker); Anthony Sadowski (within shouting distance of this marker); United Steelworkers of America (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); County Office Building (about 400 feet away); Family Court Facility (about 400 feet away); Kaufmann's Department Store and Clock (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Categories. • Notable Events •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.