Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Manchester in Hancock County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hartford's Mill

 
 
Hartford's Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, July 7, 2013
1. Hartford's Mill Marker
Inscription. On Tomlinson Run, Nesselroad's powder mill began operation about 1795. Near by occurred the famous fight between Andrew and Adam Poe, border scouts, and Chief Big Foot and another Indian in 1782. The Poes won. Two Indians died.
 
Location. 40° 32.469′ N, 80° 34.484′ W. Marker is in New Manchester, West Virginia, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Park-Forest 801 and Park-Forest 802, on the right when traveling north on Park-Forest 801. Click for map. Located in Tomlinson Run State Park, on the road to the campground. Marker is in this post office area: New Manchester WV 26056, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. On This Spot (approx. 2.9 miles away); Early Mills (approx. 2.9 miles away); Old Town (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ohio River / Ohio River (approx. 3.5 miles away); New Cumberland (approx. 3.5 miles away); Brickyard Bend (approx. 3.5 miles away); a different marker also named Old Town (approx. 3.5 miles away); Contested County Seat (approx. 3.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNative Americans
 
Hartford's Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, July 7, 2013
2. Hartford's Mill Marker
Hartford's Grist Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, July 7, 2013
3. Hartford's Grist Mill Marker
The millstone displayed here is one of the few remaining artifacts from four gristmills located along Tomlinson Run. This stone is a nether millstone, the stationary lower stone, from Hartford's Grist Mill. It is 44 inches in diameter. The grooves carved in the face of the stone are for cooling effect, to prevent meal or flour from catching fire.
Hartford's Mill site is in the wilderness area of Tomlinson Run State Park. The foundation walls can be found one mile downstream of the old mill scout camping area, 200 yards below the covered bridge abutments along Laurel Trail.
The first mill built at this location was by Joseph and Hannah Coulter in 1834. Later owners were John Newell and Thomas Webb, George Baxter, Sr., George Baxter, Jr.
John B. Hartford rented the mill in the years 1880-1882. Hartford purchased the mill in 1882, converted the mill to steam power, and added a circular saw mill. It was 1894 before Hartford received a deed for the mill and 37 acres. John lost the mill in 1905 for failure to pay taxes. The mill was later destroyed by a flash flood.
Hartford's Grist Mill Marker and Stone image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, July 7, 2013
4. Hartford's Grist Mill Marker and Stone
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement