Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lochiel Hotel and Colonial Theater

 
 
Lochiel Hotel and Colonial Theater Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Lochiel Hotel and Colonial Theater Marker
Inscription. This building was erected in 1835 in the Greek Revival architectural style and was originally known as the Wilson Hotel. Such notables as Daniel Webster and singer Jenny Lind stayed here. It was a nationally known favorite of 19th Century political figures. Major Marcus Reno (U.S. Army, 7th Cavalry) of Little Big Horn fame frequented this establishment. In the late 1800's, the building was "Victorianized" through the creation of the mansard roof and window trim embellishments and was renamed the Lochiel Hotel. The hotel continued as a popular lodging destination until 1912 when it was transformed into the Colonial Theater, a lavishly decorated vaudeville theater house, which later doubled as a movie theater, and where many of the Nation's noteworthy actors took stage. Although efforts were launched to preserve the theater in the early 1980's, long-term neglect resulted in its physical collapse onto S. Third Street in September, 1983, with no injuries. Because the building had been listed in the National Register of Historic Places several years earlier, extraordinary efforts were made to save the front portion of the structure. This now restored exterior blended with the sensitively designed contemporary rear portion of the building, serves as upscale office and retail space.
Top Photo
The Lochiel's exuberant campaign bunting
Lochiel Hotel & Colonial Theater Building image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Lochiel Hotel & Colonial Theater Building
reflected the hotel's political clientele in this late 19th Century photo.
Bottom Left Photo
1906 view of the Lochiel shows its original depth along S. Third Street which the building's contemporary addition now emulates.
Bottom Right Photo
The original building was Greek Revival in style as shown in this very early photograph looking across Market Street toward S. Third Street.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.662′ N, 76° 52.843′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Market Street and S. Third Street, on the left when traveling east on E. Market Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kunkel Building (a few steps from this marker); T. Morris Chester (a few steps from this marker); Old Dauphin County Courthouses (within shouting distance of this marker); Strawberry Square Phase II (within shouting distance of this marker); Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts (within shouting distance of this marker); 333 Market Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dauphin Deposit Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Zion Lutheran Church (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEntertainmentNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,297 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement