“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Mulberry Street Bridge

Mulberry Street Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Mulberry Street Bridge Marker
Inscription. The linkage of downtown Harrisburg with the emerging Allsion Hill at this location was established in 1891 with the opening of the original Mulberry Street Bridge. Hailed at that time by Harrisburg civic leader J. Horace McFarland as "the day Greater Harrisburg was born," the bridge, which replaced a dangerous railroad grade crossing, represented an early success of what at that time could have been considered "regional consolidation." Prior to the opening of the bridge, Allsion Hill was viewed more as a separate community, being topographically removed from the older Harrisburg along the river. The original bridge was constructed of iron with wood decking that became susceptible to fires. In fact, water barrels were placed at various intervals along the bridge in case of flare-ups. One major fire spread to portions of the bridge in 1902. Even though it was repaired, plans were afoot to build a newer and more substantial bridge. Accordingly, the iron structure was closed and dismantled in 1907 and the present concrete bridge was completed in 1909, becoming at that time the longest concrete arch bridge in the world. Technically known as the Mulberry Street Viaduct, the bridge upon its opening was proclaimed by the Harrisburg Telegraph newspaper as being "destined for a thousand years to come to bear the burden of traffic to and
Mulberry Street Bridge image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Mulberry Street Bridge
fro, between the city proper and the great East End." Even though the concrete structure itself has aged, with improvements and upgrades made in 1923, 1938, 1956, 1988 and 2002, it remains a marvelous gateway and symbol to the establishment of a unified city.
Top Photo
1907 view from Cameron Street of original iron span just prior to its demolition for construction of the present bridge.
Bottom Photo
1911 postcard view from Cameron Street of the present Mulberry Street Bridge.

Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 15.664′ N, 76° 52.668′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and Chestnut Street, on the left when traveling east on Mulberry Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presidential Convention (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Pennsylvania Railroad Station (about 500 feet away); Zion Lutheran Church (about 600 feet away); 333 Market Street (about 600 feet away); Maurice K. Goddard (about 700 feet away); Old Salem Church (about 700 feet away); T. Morris Chester (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lochiel Hotel and Colonial Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Harrisburg.
Categories. 20th CenturyBridges & ViaductsMan-Made Features
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,594 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement