Fort Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Capital of Kansas Territory
of the first capital
Territory of Kansas
Governor Andrew H. Reeder
October 7, to November 21, 1854
Erected 1941 by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Kansas.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 39° 21.458′ N, 94° 55.003′ W. Marker is in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of McPherson Avenue and Riverside Avenue, on the right when traveling east on McPherson Avenue. Click for map. Marker is opposite the old US Disciplinary Barracks. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Leavenworth KS 66027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Blockhouse (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leigh Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Post Riding Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zais Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santa Fe and Oregon Trails The Oregon and Santa Fe Trails (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elizabeth Schenck Smith House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Leavenworth.
More about this marker. Public access to the post is possible with proper identification, subject to U.S. Army regulations.
Also see . . .
1. Andrew Horatio Reeder Bio. (Submitted on July 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. (Submitted on July 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.