Corinth in Alcorn County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Retreat From Battery F
Upon occupying Corinth, the Federals had strengthened its outer defenses by building six artillery redoubts (Batteries A-F) to protect the town´s southern and western approaches. Battery F, is a typical Civil War fortification built to protect artillery. Supported by Union infantry, it presented a formidable obstace to the Confederate infantry.
Location. 34° 56.875′ N, 88° 33.139′ W. Marker is in Corinth, Mississippi, in Alcorn County. Marker is at the intersection of Bitner Road and Scenic Lake Drive, on the right when traveling north on Bitner Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corinth MS 38834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Corinth Battery F (a few steps from this marker); Battery F Texas Memorial (approx. 1.5 miles away); William P. Rogers (approx. 1.5 miles away); Brigadier-General Joseph Lewis Hogg (approx. 1.5 miles away); Battle of Corinth - 1862 (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Corinth - 1862 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Henry Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Corinth.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. 4, 5. submitted on , by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.