San Gabriel in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mission San Gabriel Archangel / El Camino Real Door
Founded September 8, 1771, by Franciscan Friars on Rio Temblores - due to flooding, the expedition moved to this 2nd site in 1774, where the Old Mission of stone and red brick was built with the help of Gabrieleno Indians.
The exterior has exceptional beauty with its huge buttresses, massive bells in Campanorio, built to replace the bell tower detroyed by the 1812 Earthquake.
Note - outside stairs to choir loft.
In 1781, "Los Pobladores" from the San Gabriel Mission founded in the Little Pueblo of Los Angels.
Erected by San Gariel Mission.
Location. 34° 5.798′ N, 118° 6.407′ W. Marker is in San Gabriel, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on South Mission Drive, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 428 South Mission Drive, San Gabriel CA 91776, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista De Anza San Gabriel Mission (a few steps from this marker); Old Spanish Trail (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named San Gabriel Mission (a few steps from this marker); Joseph Chapman’s Millrace (within shouting distance of this marker); 1776 Overland Immigration Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); Early California (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Gabriel Veterans War Memorial (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Gabriel.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.