“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Pope's Tavern Museum

Pope's Tavern Museum Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, May 7, 2013
1. Pope's Tavern Museum Marker Side 1
Inscription. Pope's Tavern Museum is housed in a building that dates back to the early 1800s. According to legend Christopher Cheatham built and operated a tavern on this site for Leroy Pope in 1811. This was seven years before the founding of Florence in 1818. Archaeological evidence suggest that the original building was burned. Apparently part of the present building was erected in 1820s. Since that time there have been numerous structural changes to meet changing needs for the building. While no firm evidence exist that this building was a tavern, there are several reasons to believe the legend. The present structure is certainly one of the oldest buildings in Florence and a prominent historical site.

At various times the building served as the home to prominent families including Charles Gookin, a businessman and city Alderman, and Josiah Patterson, a prominent lawyer and his son, who later became Governor of Tennessee.

(Continued on other side)
During the Civil War the house was used as a hospital by Union and Confederate armies. It was first used as a hospital shortly after the Battles of Fort Henry and Fort Donelson and remained in fairly constant use after early 1862. Thirty-two soldiers died in the house and were buried in the old Florence Cemetery.

Felix Grundy Lambeth, a postmaster in Florence, bought
Pope's Tavern Museum Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, May 7, 2013
2. Pope's Tavern Museum Marker Side 2
the house in 1874. It was occupied by the Lambeth family until 1965. When rumors circulated that the house was to be demolished, the Chamber of Commerce purchased the property and gave it to the City of Florence. The deed stipulated that the City would maintain and preserve the building as a historic site and that it would be used as a museum. After extensive renovation of the building by the City and exhaustive search for appropriate artifacts, the Pope's Tavern Museum was opened to the public in 1968.
Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.
Location. 34° 48.3′ N, 87° 40.62′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on Hermitage Drive. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 Hermitage Drive, Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seminary - O'Neal Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Sannoner Historic District (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Colonel Pickett Place (about 600 feet away); Regions Bank (about 600 feet
Pope's Tavern Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, May 7, 2013
3. Pope's Tavern Museum Marker
away); Wood Avenue Historic District (about 700 feet away); Sannoner Historic District Medical Arts Building (about 700 feet away); Courtview, Rogers Hall (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Florence.
Also see . . .  Pope's Tavern Museum - City of Florence. (Submitted on July 16, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. Notable Buildings
Pope's Tavern Museum image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, February 25, 2002
4. Pope's Tavern Museum
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 86 times this year. Last updated on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement