Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coldwater in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1837, the same year that Coldwater became a village, the local Presbyterian society held services in various quarters until 1844 when it erected its first church. It completed the present Romanesque Revival-style brick church in 1869 at a cost of $40,104. The 185-foot steeple, one of the highest in southern Michigan and the chief landmark of the city, was made possible by a gift from S.M. Seely. The Meneely bell came from West Troy, New York, in 1853. In early times, the church often served as a lecture and concert hall. Sojourner Truth, former slave and early women's rights activist, spoke here in 1877. This church building is now the oldest in the city still in use by its original denomination. In 1986 it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1987 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L657A.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 56.528′ N, 85° 0.015′ W. Marker is in Coldwater, Michigan, in Branch County. Marker is at the intersection of Marshall Street (Old U.S. 27) and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on Marshall Street.
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
View to north along Marshall Street
Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 52 Marshall Street, Coldwater MI 49036, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frank D. Newberry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Loomis' Battery (about 500 feet away); Branch County World War I Memorial (about 500 feet away); Old Sam (about 500 feet away); Branch County World War II Memorial (about 500 feet away); Coldwater Michigan National Guard Armory Memorial (about 500 feet away); The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961 (about 500 feet away); Branch County Korean and Vietnam Wars Memorial (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Coldwater.
 
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The church is American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 281, registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
3. First Presbyterian Church
View traveling north on Marshall Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement