Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moscow in Hillsdale County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot

 
 
Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
1. Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot Marker
Inscription. A grand celebration and a baseball game greeted the Michigan and Ohio Railroad when its track reached Moscow on September 4, 1883. This Stick Style station, completed the following month, was "quite an ornament to the place," according to the Hillsdale Standard. The two-room depot serviced mail, freight, and passengers for the two freight and two passenger trains passing through Moscow each day on the Michigan and Ohio's Allegan-Toledo line. In 1887 the Cincinnati, Jackson and Mackinaw Railroad purchased the Michigan and Ohio and its depots. Successive railroad companies maintained the depot until around 1930 when the New York Central Railroad closed the line. In 1933 the building became the Moscow Township Hall.
 
Erected 1999 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1310.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 3.01′ N, 84° 30.6′ W. Marker is in Moscow, Michigan, in Hillsdale County. Marker is at the intersection of East Chicago Road (U.S. 12) and West Street, on the left when traveling east on East Chicago Road. Click for map. Marker is located in Headwaters Park. Marker
Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
2. Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot Marker
View to west along E. Chicago Road (US12)
is at or near this postal address: 7324 E. Chicago Road, Jonesville MI 49250, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W. H. L. McCourtie / W. H. L. McCourtie Estate (approx. 5.2 miles away); Wellman General Store (approx. 6.9 miles away); Father Gabriel Richard (approx. 7.1 miles away); Mosherville Church / Mosherville School (approx. 7.7 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 9 miles away); Grosvenor House (approx. 9 miles away); Woodstock Manual Labor Institute (approx. 9.1 miles away); Huron Potawatomi Village / Spring Arbor (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
3. Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement