Near West Chester in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Martin's Tavern or Center House
For over 250 years, a building has stood on this site. First a house, probably built in 1750 for William and Abigail Clayton. In 1764, Joseph Martin built an addition and opened the Center House, or Martin's Tavern. For 200 years it functioned as a Tavern, hotel, Post Office, service station, and boarding house. Abandoned and gutted in the 1970's, it sat neglected and deteriorating for 30 years. By 2005, it was on the verge of collapse. The Friend of Martin's Tavern, a non-profit group of local volunteers, was formed to stabilize and preserve what remained of this historic structure to create a community park.
1764 – 1776: Joseph Martin 1768: William Clayton 1776 – 1786: Abraham Marshall, Owner 1776: Robert Peoples, Keeper 1778: Joseph Martin, James Porter, Keepers 1779: James Bruce, Keeper 1780 – 1783: Thomas Carpenter, Keeper 1786 – 1804: Abraham Marshall 1802: William Marshall 1805 – 1808: James and Joseph Miller 1809 – 1811; 1815 – 1816: Joseph Chamberlain 1818 – 1833: Isaac Carpenter 1834: John Worrall 1835 – 1838: Thomas Carpenter 1839 – 1841: Milton Keech 1842 – 1845: Israel Lamborn 1846: Hanson Thornbury 1847: Israel Lamborn 1848: Richard Milleson 1851 –
“Remember what was; enjoy what is”
Erected 2006 by Friends of the Martin's Tavern.
Location. 39° 56.987′ N, 75° 40.877′ W. Marker is near West Chester, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is at the intersection of Strasburg Road and Northbrook Road, on the right when traveling east on Strasburg Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 550 Northbrook Road, West Chester PA 19380, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Martins Tavern and The Battle of Brandywine (here, next to this marker); Humphrey Marshall (here, next to this marker); Tavern Fare (here, next to this marker); Court of Quarter Sessions (a few steps from this marker); Humphry Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Home and Arboretum of Humphry Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Marshallton Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marshalton Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in West Chester.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Martins Tavern Website. (Submitted on July 18, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. 12. submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.