Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker

 
 
Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
1. Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker Marker
Inscription. The U.S. Government erected 40 sandstone markers on the boundaries of the District of Columbia in 1791 and 1792. The boundary survey was initiated by President George Washington and executed by Andrew Ellicott, who became Surveyor General of the United States, and black freeman astronomer Benjamin Banneker. The donation of land from Virginia and Maryland fulfilled Article I, Section 8, Clause 12 of the U.S. Constitution, which set aside 10 square miles for the nation’s capital. This stone marked the jurisdiction of the U.S. and that of Virginia. In 1846, Congress returned the land Virginia had donated.
 
Erected 2005 by Arlington County, Virginia, paid for by Arlington County Fair.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Original Federal Boundary Stones marker series.
 
Location. 38° 51.11′ N, 77° 7.16′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on South Jefferson Street 0.1 miles south of Columbia Pike (Virginia Route 244), in the median. Click for map. The marker is at the boundary between present day Arlington and Fairfax Counties. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22204, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Southwest No. 6 Boundary Stone and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
2. Southwest No. 6 Boundary Stone and Marker
. Bailey’s Crossroads (approx. 0.6 miles away); Barcroft (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Arlington Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Washington's Survey Marker (approx. 0.7 miles away but has been reported missing); Barcroft Community House (approx. ¾ mile away); Moses Ball Grant (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bailey’s Crossroads Civil War Engagements (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Ball-Carlin Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
 
More about this marker. This is not the original location of the boundary stone. It was moved from a nearby location because of street construction.
 
Additional keywords. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW6
 
Categories. African AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
3. Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker
Original Boundary Stone image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
4. Original Boundary Stone
Original Boundary Stone
D.C - SW 6
Dedicated June 15, 1916
Rededicated June 5, 1965
Fairfax County Chapter
DAR
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement