Nebraska City in Otoe County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Dept.
Oldest Fire Department in Nebraska
—Organized in 1856 —
This fire alarm bell was used in Nebraska City from 1895 until 1964. It was purchased by the City of Nebraska City on November 18, 1875, from the E. W. Van Duzen Co., Buckeye Bell Foundry, Cincinnati, Ohio for $115.16 to replace a previous bell. Survived the fire of 1901 in which the fire station and city hall were totally destroyed. The original fire station was located at 110 North 6th Street until relocated to its present site in December 1972. The bell was removed from the roof of the original fire station and erected at this location on July 4, 1975 by members of the Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Department.
Erected by Nebraska City Rotary Club.
Location. 40° 40.61′ N, 95° 51.739′ W. Marker is in Nebraska City, Nebraska, in Otoe County. Marker is on Central Avenue west of 13th Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1320 Central Avenue, Nebraska City NE 68410, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This ELI Windmill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Masons of Nebraska Territory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mother Church of Methodism in Nebraska First United Methodist Church Original 1855 Wall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mother Church of Nebraska Methodism (approx. 0.2 miles away); Steam Wagon (approx. 0.7 miles away); Earth Lodge Villages (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hunter, Watchdog and Faithful Friend (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Nebraska City.
Also see . . .
1. Nebraska City Museum of Firefighting. (Submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Department. (Submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.