Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Jacksonport in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church

 
 
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devon Polzar, July 2013
1. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription. On January 18, 1889, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was formally incorporated. The congregation consisted mostly of German Lutheran immigrants from the district of Saxon-Weimar-Eisenach who settled in the Jacksonport area. That spring the newly organized congregation started to construct a forty-by-twenty-eight-foot wood-frame structure using locally donated logs. The land was provided by John and Rose Anschutz, the foundation by Ernest Wiegand, the lime by John Flock, and a week's labor by Henry Anschutz. In addition, six hundred dollars was raised by the sale of cordwood, the area's primary cash crop. During the winter of 1890, the congregation secured bricks for a chimney and paid Hans Johnson to build the altar, pulpit, and pews. The interior lath and plaster had to wait for warmer weather and was completed the following spring.
 
Erected 2012 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 544.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 44° 59.825′ N, 87° 14.604′ W. Marker is near Jacksonport, Wisconsin, in Door County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of County Road T and Wendt Lane, on the right when traveling
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devon Polzar, July 2013
2. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
north. Click for map. Marker is near the entrance to Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6710 County Road T, Egg Harbor WI 54209, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity (approx. 2.6 miles away); Jacksonport United Methodist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Halfway to the North Pole (approx. 3.5 miles away); a different marker also named Halfway to the North Pole (approx. 3.8 miles away); Scow Schooner Ocean Wave (approx. 5.7 miles away); 8064 Hwy. 57 (approx. 7.4 miles away); 8068 Hwy. 57 (approx. 7.4 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 7.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jacksonport.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement