“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clearwater in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

First Public School


First Public School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 27, 2013
1. First Public School Marker
Inscription. Near this site was located the first public supported school within the present limits of the City of Clearwater. Known as the Taylor Schoolhouse, erected in 1854. The surnames of the pupils included Taylor, Turner, McMullen, Henderson, Johnson, White, Stevenson, Brownlow and Whitehurst, all early settlers of this county.
Erected 1964 by The Clearwater Historical Committee.
Location. 27° 57.425′ N, 82° 45.532′ W. Marker is in Clearwater, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is at the intersection of Druid Road and Arcturas Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Druid Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clearwater FL 33764, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clearwater Post Office (approx. 2.4 miles away); Harbor Oaks Historic District (approx. 2.7 miles away); Magnolia Drive Dock (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Seminole Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); The American's Creed / In Grateful Remembrance (approx. 4.3 miles away); Dr. Willis Stanley Blatchley (approx. 4.7 miles away); “The Baranoff Oak” (approx. 4.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clearwater.
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 68 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement