“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Elfers in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

West Elfers Cemetery

West Elfers Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2013
1. West Elfers Cemetery Marker
Inscription. As part of the Baillie Settlement, a congregation of Methodists and Baptists established a Union Church and cemetery on this site, ca. 1876. In March 1877, the church conducted the first burial with the interment of Peter K. Baillie, pioneer settler and Seminole Indian War veteran. When a fire destroyed the church in 1885, the Methodists established their own church and cemetery, now known as East Elfers Cemetery. In 1891, the Baptists relocated to become the Anclote Missionary Baptist Church. In the late 1930s, Michael Milbauer acquired a tax deed for the greater part of the cemetery property. The Milbauer family then established the cemetery as a community burial place, giving burial plots to the underprivileged. After surveying the property, Michael Milbauer deeded a portion to the Catholic Diocese of St. Augustine in 1955, who, in turn, deeded it to the Diocese of St. Petersburg in 1983. The Milbauers retained part of the cemetery for a family plot. After Michael's son, Richard died in 1981, the Milbauer portion of the cemetery was deeded equally to the University of Florida Foundation and Saint Leo College, who both deeded their portions to Pasco County in 1987. Among those buried in the West Elfers Cemetery are former public officials, ministers and veterans of seven U.S. wars.
Erected 2007 by Pasco Board of County Commissioners and the Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee.
Location. 28° 12.818′ N, 82° 44.402′ W. Marker is near Elfers, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on Old Baillies Bluff Road 0.6 miles west of U.S. 19. Click for map. From the intersection of US 19 and FL 54, take Old Baillies Bluff Road west. Marker is inside of fence. Marker is in this post office area: Elfers FL 34680, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elfers (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Baker House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Elfers School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Sims Park (approx. 2.9 miles away); Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Oelsner Mound (approx. 4.1 miles away); Tarpon Springs Sponge Industry (approx. 4.2 miles away); Pine Hill Cemetery (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elfers.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 54 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement