Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Marks in Wakulla County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

San Marcos De Apalache

 
 
San Marcos De Apalache Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, May 30, 2013
1. San Marcos De Apalache Marker
(front)
Inscription. Front
Wooden stockades were built here by the Spanish in 1680 an 1758. In 1758, these were destroyed by a hurricane which drowned the garrison. A masonry fort was begun in 1759 but was soon abandoned to the Indians for a trading post and Indian rendezvous. It was reoccupied by the Spanish in 1783. General Andrew Jackson seized and occupied the fort in 1819. It became a United States possession in 1821 upon purchase of the territory from Spain.

Back
It was occupied as an army post until 1824 when the Indians were moved to a reservation. The Town of St. Marks was created by an act of Congress in 1830 and became a port of entry before railroads were extended to the seaboard. The fort was re-established and occupied by the Confederate Army during the Civil War and a Federal Naval attack on the fort was repulsed in 1865.
 
Erected 1965 by Florida Board of Park and Historic Memorials in cooperation with Florida State Society and Dominie Everardus Bogardus Chapter, Colonial Dames XVii Century. (Marker Number F-131.)
 
Location. 30° 9.128′ N, 84° 12.615′ W. Marker is in St. Marks, Florida, in Wakulla County. Marker is on Old Fort Road mile south of Old Fort Drive. Click for map.
San Marcos De Apalache Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, May 30, 2013
2. San Marcos De Apalache Marker
(back)
The fort and the marker stand at the confluence of the St. Marks and Wakulla Rivers. Marker is at or near this postal address: 148 Old Fort Road, St. Marks, Florida, Saint Marks FL 32355, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort St. Marks Military Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named San Marcos De Apalache (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Port Leon (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Marks Lighthouse (approx. 5.7 miles away); Wakulla Springs Archaeological & Historic District (approx. 7.9 miles away); Battle of Natural Bridge (approx. 9.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park. The official park page at the Florida State Parks website. (Submitted on July 29, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.) 

2. Fort San Marcos de Apalache Marks, Florida. An American Latino Heritage page about San Marcos at the National Park Service web site. (Submitted on July 29, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
 
San Marcos De Apalache Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, May 30, 2013
3. San Marcos De Apalache Marker
Looking east past the marker at the parking lot, with Old Fort Road entering from the left.
San Marcos De Apalache Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, May 30, 2013
4. San Marcos De Apalache Marker
Nearby entrance to the state park.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on March 16, 2017.
Paid Advertisement