Willow Street in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
During the 18th and 19th centuries, mills were central to the life of Lancaster County; towns grew frequently from these gathering places. Today few of these mills are still in operation, and even fewer continue to use millstones.
Early milling techniques, using millstones like these, can be seen at Millbridge Village, located on the Pequea Creek, the mill at the Village was begun in 1738 by John Herr, a grandson of Hans Herr.
Location. 39° 58.8′ N, 76° 15.667′ W. Marker is in Willow Street, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from Hans Herr Drive. Click for map. Located in the Hans Herr historic site. Marker is in this post office area: Willow Street PA 17584, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured Heine Weber Smokehouse (a few steps from this marker); Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Herr House (approx. ¾ mile away); Martin Meylin’s Gunshop (approx. 1.2 miles away); Birthplace of the Pennsylvania Rifle (approx. 1.3 miles away); Boehm's Chapel (approx. 1.3 miles away); Founded 1791 Boehms Chapel (approx. 1.4 miles away); Conestoga Navigation Company (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Willow Street.
Also see . . . Hans Herr House Museum website. (Submitted on August 2, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.