Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Arrott Building

 

—Historic Landmark —

 
Arrott Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, July 31, 2013
1. Arrott Building Marker
Inscription.
Arrott Building
1902
Frederick John Osterling, architect

 
Erected by Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation.
 
Location. 40° 26.365′ N, 80° 0.079′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of Wood Street and Fourth Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Wood Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15222, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Trust Company-Lawyers Title Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Benedum-Trees Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burke's Landmark (about 400 feet away); Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company (about 500 feet away); Martin R. Delany (about 500 feet away); Site of Bear Tavern (about 600 feet away); Work Accidents and the Law (about 600 feet away); University of Pittsburgh Log Schoolhouse (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Also see . . .  Arrott Building Wikipedia article. (Submitted on July 31, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Arrott Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, July 31, 2013
2. Arrott Building Marker
Arrott Building Description plaque image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, July 31, 2013
3. Arrott Building Description plaque
The Arrott Building
Frederick John Osterling, Architect
C. 1901-02

The Arrott Building, completed in 1902, is one of Pittsburgh's earliest skyscrapers. It has a unique lobby of veined marble, glittering inlaid Cosmati tile, and richly-molded bronze. Originally, this granite, brick and lavishly-formed terra cotta building could be seen near and far with the final statement of a flaring cornice 256 feet above the sidewalk.
The original owner was James W. Arrott, chairman of the James W. Arrott Company Insurance Agency. His architect was Frederick John Osterling, architect of the nearby Times Building, the Union Trust Building on Grant Street, and many other building familiar to Pittsburghers. Another prominent Pittsburgh architect, Edward B. Lee, altered the two lower floors of the exterior in the late 1920's.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement