Rawson in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Rawson and the Railroads /
The Rawson Heritage
Rawson and the Railroads
The original town plat of Rawson was filed on February 3, 1855, consisting of fifty-five lots in sections 13 and 14 of Union Township, Hancock County on the Frederick Keller and George J. Kelly farms. Several residential and business structures were built in anticipation of completion of a railroad rumored to pass from Fremont through the "Rawson" area on its way to the western boundary of Ohio. Farmers Keller and Kelly named their village Rawson after L.Q. Rawson, President of the railroad company, hoping that the name would encourage him to build through their area. Financial troubles delayed construction causing a standstill in Rawson. Seventeen years later the first locomotive arrived in Rawson, spurring new construction. At that time the railroad was called the Lake Erie and Louisville; in 1879 it was changed to the Lake Erie and Western and in 1922 became part of the Nickel Plate Railroad.
The Rawson Heritage
When local residents heard the shrill blast of the steam whistle sounding from the first locomotive to arrive in Rawson in 1872, they thought that their small hamlet was finally assured of growth and prosperity. Fire, however, the plague of towns everywhere, almost destroyed Rawson in 1887. In
Erected 1993 by Village of Rawson-Historic Preservation Guild-Hancock Park District and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 18-32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 57.183′ N, 83° 47.017′ W. Marker is in Rawson, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is on Elm Street east of Liberty Street. Click for map. This marker is located in the Village of Rawson Community Park. Marker is in this post office area: Rawson OH 45881, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies Hull's Trail (approx. 7.4 miles away); Indian Green / McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead (approx. 7.4 miles away); Village of Arlington / The Arlington Heritage (approx. 8.1 miles away); Site of the First Swiss Mennonite Church (approx. 8.3 miles away); Mason Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era (approx. 9.1 miles away); Hancock County Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 9.1 miles away).
More about this marker. The reverse side of this marker is The Rawson Heritage
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.