“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Auburn in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Auburn Drug Company

Auburn Drug Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 10, 2013
1. Auburn Drug Company Marker
Inscription. An old fashioned drugstore down to the vintage marble soda fountain, Auburn Drug Company was established in 1896 by James T. Gibson. It was first located on the upper left side of Railroad Street (now Lincoln Way), just below Freeman Hotel. It was moved to the Hink Block, 818 Lincoln Way in 1906. In 1921 Henry Swanson purchased the store and in 1927 he commissioned the building at 815 Lincoln Way where it presently stands. At this site Mr. Swanson developed the recipe for Auburn Drug's famous "Irish Soda." In 1941, Clarence and Amy Reeves became the new owners. In 1974 they sold the store to the present owners, Charles and Patricia Fink. Contained within the walls of this old building are 100 years of pharmacy records and relics.
Erected 1996 by Grand Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 54.026′ N, 121° 4.081′ W. Marker is in Auburn, California, in Placer County. Marker is on Lincoln Way 0.1 miles from High Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 Lincoln Way, Auburn CA 95603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Auburn Drug Company image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 10, 2013
2. Auburn Drug Company
Past Grand President David Allen (l) and Grand Trustee Carey Pearce (r) stand in front of the Auburn Drug Company. The marker is behind Dave's head.
within walking distance of this marker. Ford & Co. Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Transcontinental Railroad (about 700 feet away); East Auburn Bell Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marguerite Mine “Quartz Rock” (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Chinese Coolie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Southern Pacific Caboose (approx. 0.2 miles away); Auburn Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Auburn Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Auburn.
Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 263 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement